Mount Vernon Community and Alumni Members:
As you are aware, The Mount Vernon Mustangs will play their last varsity football on the First Street Field against Solon on Friday, September 15th. There will be celebrations and recognitions before, during, and after the game to commemorate the big night. Here are the updated plans:
- Prior to the game, all alumni members of the Marching Mustangs are invited to join the current Marching Mustangs to play the National Anthem and fight song. If you do not wish to play along with the band, we ask that you come down and stand with the band so you may be honored as valued alumni members of the Marching Mustangs. Please come down to the field when you are called to do so by the public address announcer.
- All alumni members who played football, were cheerleaders, or were marching band members are asked to help form a tunnel the players will run through prior to the start of the game. The players will appreciate this sign of support as they prepare for the big game with Solon. Please come down to the field when you are called to do so by the public address announcer.
- Mustang football players from the 1950’s, 1960’s, 1970’s, 1980’s, 1990’s, 2000’s, 2010’s, and 2020’s will join the team captains for the coin toss prior to the game. The former players will walk out with the team captains to take part in this pregame event. Please come down to the field when you are called to do so by the public address announcer.
- At halftime, we will also honor community members who were part of the First Street Field renovation project. Dave Ryan, the Voice of the Mustangs, will provide information about this important renovation project, and will ask all in attendance who were involved in any way with the project to stand and be recognized.
- Immediately after the game, Dave Ryan will provide a brief retrospective of Mount Vernon Football, along with a history of the First Street Field.
- The postgame ceremony will conclude with a flag lowering ceremony led by the Hahn Howard American Legion Post 480.
We hope you can join us on this special evening. Go Mustangs!